Sunday, September 21, 2008

OUT IN HOLLYWOOD


Since I got back from EW last month I have not had the time to do any reviews of any of the new FTD's I got. I am hoping get to them all soon. I am going to start out with my favorite one I brought back, Out In Hollywood. I have been wanting this CD for a very long time. It is one of the FTD's that has been discontinued and I was really down I was not able to obtain it. I am a huge fan of the movie music and this is a good CD for the collection. The first night I was in Memphis I was in one of the shops and looked over and saw about five copies of this CD sitting with the others available. I was going nuts! I could not believe they had it. I do not know what they had it, but I was glad they did. I did not see anymore in any of the other shops. So of course I grabbed one up right then. Most of the songs at the time this CD was released had not been put out before. Though I have heard some of these songs before as they came out on other FTD's over the past few years. This has 22 great songs and I love hearing these other takes. The first song on the CD that caught my attention was take 6 of Cross My Heart And Hope To Die. I have heard this before on my Girl Happy FTD but I was still happy to hear it. It has always been on of my favorite movie songs. Take 4 of Lonely Man was pretty key. I do not think I have heard this before. All the songs on here are key, but one really stood out. The vocal overdub of (You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care. This is freaking awesome. I have never heard this before and I really dig it. Hearing Elvis' voice while singing all alone with not music just reminded me how great he could sing, but how he could change his style and delivery. This was of course from 1957. It also reminded me how his voice continued to change over the next 20 years. Overall this is a really solid CD in my opinion. If you do not like his movie music or are not into all the recordings overall, it might not be for you. This is not a collection of his best movie music, but it contains some pretty good songs. It has for now made it in my top ten FTD list.

1 comment:

Keith said...

That sounds awesome. Glad you were able to get a copy. I love the music in his movies. Congrats on getting this album. I hope it brings you much listening pleasure.