Sunday, February 22, 2009

New Hollywood exhibit at Graceland


One of the new exhibits at Graceland is centered around Elvis' time spent making movies. I was listening to Elvis Radio the other day and they had been talking about one of the things on display is the "Clambake Suit". Which is what Elvis has on in the picture above. The say it is the first time is has been on display. I will have to say it is awful, but for some reason I have always found it interesting. Maybe because it is so odd. Or It might have to do with the fact I have always been a big Clambake fan. Now in a post a while back I was talking about this suit being auctioned off. That suit was the first one made for Elvis but was too small and never used. From everything I have ever seen wrote about this suit, it says it was cut up into tiny bits. Then sold in the record "Elvis: The Other Sides — Worldwide Gold Award Hits, Volume 2". So I am curious to what suit Graceland has. I will for sure have to investigate this some more.

3 comments:

Keith said...

I'll be interested to learn what you find out. Not to criticize Elvis really, but his clothes could be hit or miss. Know what I mean.

Mike Edwards said...

I know what you mean. One of the first things that struck me as cool about Elvis was his clothes. I love the 50's looks with the colors and over sized clothes inspired by the black artist in Memphis. I also loved the early 60's continental look he sported in films and in his real life. Though in the late 60's his own taste was at times not to my liking and the film outfits could be horriable at times though by that time he didn't control that like he did in the 50's/early 60's.

Anonymous said...

THE SUIT AT GRACELAND WAS OWNED BY THE ELVIS-A-RAMA MUSEUM IN LAS VEGAS WHERE IT WAS ON DISPLAY FOR YEARS. IT WAS SOLD AT AUCTION ALONG WITH MANY OTHER ITEMS. IT WAS NEVER WORN BY ELVIS, AS IT WAS TOO SMALL. THE ONE USED IN THE FILM WAS INDEED CUT UP BY RCA IN 1972-73. THE CURRENT OWNER OF THIS SUIT IS ELVIS COLLECTOR LARRY MOSS. HE PLACED IT ON LOAN TO EPE ALONG WITH SOME OTHER MOVIE WARDROBE. HOPE THIS HELPS.