Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Do you look at your bald head and wish you had hair?


First and formost I would like to apologize for my absence due to pc problems, hopefully everything is taken care of and I can get the Vegas blogs rolling. Im gonna start by the review of "All Shook Up". This album was recorded from the complete midnight show on August 26, 1969 in Las Vegas. This would be one of the first few concerts Elvis performed after his comeback. You can hear on the album that he's very nervous but yet he still puts on a good show with his music and comedy. The infamous laughing version of "Are You Lonesome Tonight" is on this album where Elvis adds the line "Do you look at your bald head and wish you had hair." It sends Elvis into a tailspin of giggles but he comes back strong with an impromptu jam of "Rubberneckin'". After correcting himself and speeding up the tempo, he rocks out the song. Another aspect of the early vegas shows that I like is hearing songs that he'd recently recorded such as "Suspicious Minds", hearing the first few live version compared to the TTWII Disc 2 version amazes me how much he made that song better live throughout the years. There is also his version of Del Shannon's "Runaway" on there which I think is pretty kick ass because thats one of my all time favorite songs and to hear him sing it is simply amazing. As you can expect, it's a typical Vegas Elvis show but what makes it really good is his nervousness and how he counteracts it with comedy. The one thing that makes me love this album is the rare live version of "Rubberneckin", that's what makes the whole album great to me. The next album I will review will be "Elvis At The International", The show recorded on August 23, 1969, stay tuned!!

No comments: