Friday, April 4, 2008

ELVIS/Mariah/Maddona

As we all know by now Mariah Carey scored her 18th number one on the Billboard charts putting her in second place with E. It is a great achievement for her and she might even pass The Beatles. Actually, I really hope she does. Anyway, she will never touch Elvis as a pure singer or even an entertainer for that matter. At least she knows whats up. When she was asked about the achievement she said "I really can never put myself in the category of people who have not only revolutionized music but also changed the world". Even though I do not care for her music, I respect that she has done something right for a long time to get this record.
Also a brew ha ha has occurred over Madonna passing him with top ten hits. She is not there yet despite what is being reported. Elvis has forty top ten hits. She will probably will get there though. I do not really dig Madonna's act either but she is a great performer and she has lasted for a good length of time. If anyone is going to break that record, might as well be her. She is a fan of Elvis. She loves Elvis and would consider that one of the highest honers she could achieve if she did.
At the end of the day either one of these artist can hold up to Elvis. They will never have the impact on the world as Elvis did. Fifty years from now they might have some things said about them. Elvis will still be talked about though one hundred years from now. Also Elvis holds a lot of records still no one will ever pass. My favorite one I think is that Elvis has had 150 different albums and singles that have been certified gold, platinum or multi-platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). He probably has more and research hopefully will prove it seeing the right people make sure it happens. He has far and away more then anyone. I am going to stop my rambling about that, I am going to go into a heated rant talking about some of these things though. So the point of the post I guess is, records are going to be broke. No one of the last fifty years though can touch Elvis. He set the bar high, and I do not think I will ever see another artist come close to doing what he did.

No comments: